The Environmental Commission, a superior court of record, will be a court characterised by excellence, which strives to attain justice for all through the rule of law. The Commission will be the premier environmental court in the region setting the trend in environmental decision-making and the utilisation of case management methodology and court information technology.
The Vision Statement of the Environmental Commission is premised on the following principles:
- Provide equal access to a fair and effective system of justice to all members of society.
- Offer alternative dispute resolution processes while preserving the right of parties to a hearing before the Commission.
- Provide quality service that continuously improves, that meets and exceeds public expectations, and ensures that all persons appearing before the Commission are treated with courtesy, respect and dignity.
- Maintain the independence of the Commission while strengthening relations with the public, bar, the Legislature and the Executive.
- Enhance the potential of every person at the Commission to contribute to the administration of justice through participation, training and technology.
- Earn the respect and confidence of an informed public.
The Environmental Commission shall, in a fair, accessible, effective, and efficient manner, resolve environmental disputes arising under the law and shall interpret and apply the law consistently, impartially, and independently to protect the rights of citizens while being cognizant of the need for the balancing of economic growth with environmentally sound practices.
Consistent with its Mission Statement, the Environmental Commission shall be guided by the following principles:
- To make decisions in the best interest of the public.
- To conduct the Commission's business based on an underlying commitment to equal and timely justice while providing public access to an independent forum for the resolutuion of disputes.
- To advocate for policies and resources that are necessary for the Commission to fulfil its Mission .
- To ensure the continued development of an accessible Commission through planning, research, and evaluation programmes, and through the use of modern management approaches and technological developments.
- To provide leadership in the administration of justice at the Commission by establishing broad and consistent policies for the operation of the Commission and appropriate rules and forms.
- To promote a competent responsive and ethical Commission and staff through a comprehensive programme of judicial education and training of Commission employees.
- To contribute to the public's understanding of the judicial process at the Commission through a continuing programme of public education.
Statement of Core Values of The Environmental Commission
Required to accomplish our Mission are four paramount values representing the core of what the Commission stands for as an institution:
- Quality Service